Monday, January 16, 2012

SAG Screener Season

1. Moneyball
First of all if Aaron Sorkin wrote it, there is no way I'm going to hate it. Add Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill, and that's a hard combo to screw up.

Having said that, I was surprised at just how much I loved this film. I really don't believe you have to be a basball fan to get it. It might help to be some kind of a sports fan, they all involve money... But I really enjoyed this.

2. The Help
Excellent. Everyone in it is superb. Wonderful script, good direction. Bryce Dallas Howard is so hateable you want ot strap kittens to her and set her on fire. (And I'm a HUGE cat person, I just have to say.) She is that horrid. Viola Davis is remarkable.

3. The Artist
I might be the only person in LA Co who hates this film. I don't care. I LOVE Jean Dujardin. He's smoking hot and he's French. That is all WIN. He's wonderful. The dog is wonderful. The script sucks so badly I wanted to set myself on fire. Life is too short and time is too precious for a 30min screenplay getting turned into a 100 min film when it's unnecessary. Seriously. Within 15min, had I not been so tired, (made even more so by this boring, repetitive film), the cheesy, repetitive music would have driven me to stab myself in my eardrums had I the energy.

At 30 min, something wonderful happens that made me hope the film was going to take a turn into new and inventiveland, but it was not to be. It was but a dream, and then it was back to the same repetitive, cheesy, over-long sequences, and horrid music, (+ hot man + cute dog ≠ interesting movie.) I'm really at a loss for why everyone is so over the moon. So it's a silent film. So it's a nice valentine to the History of the Film Industry. Please don't act like I don't know that history, or am an avid fan already.... I do, and I am. The silent film aspect did not add to the narritive, nor make this AMAZING in any way. It could have, but it didn't.

I am angry that I wasted 100 minutes I will never get back when awesome films such as Jane Eyre weren't nominated. That's 100 minutes I could have spent viewing another screener I've got to fit in between now and noon on Friday, Jan 27th.

4. My Week With Marilyn
What a gem of a film. First off, I've been in love with Eddie Redmayne since Pillars of the Earth, but everyone is marvelous in this. And it's a bit of icing on the cake if you're familiar with The Prince and The Showgirl. Didn't expect to love this so much. And it was nice not hating Kenneth Branagh, but then he didn't try directing too. Eddie Redmayne is going to be Marius in the film of Les Misérables!!! That is WIN.

5. Already saw Bridesmaids. Love it.

Five down, six more to go, if I can get Midnight In Paris to download without an error, and talk myself into The Warrior.

Still want to see We Need To Talk About Kevin. No date on DVD release. WTF?????

No comments: